STUDENT SUPPORT TEAM – SASA
South Philadelphia High School Asian Student Advocates (SASA)
South Philadelphia High School Asian Student Advocates (SASA) is the coalition of community organizations and individuals working to address the rampant anti-Asian/anti-immigrant violence at South Philadelphia High School (SPHS) in the wake of the December 3, 2009 assaults.
Our Goal: To create a safe learning environment for all students at SPHS regardless of their race or national origin.
- Asian Americans United (AAU)
- Boat People SOS (BPSOS)
- Victim/Witness Services of South Philadelphia (V/WSSP)
- Cambodian Association of Greater Philadelphia
- Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF)
What are we seeking?
Community groups and students are seeking institutional solutions to institutional problems. We seek:
- Public denouncement of anti-Asian and anti-immigrant violence at SPHS and anywhere in the District by the highest levels of School District and City leadership;
- Administrative change at SPHS, beginning with the immediate removal of Principal LaGreta Brown. The immigrant communities at SPHS must be a participatory party in the search and hiring process for a new principal;
- Accountability at the regional superintendent’s office. For more than 18 months, the regional superintendent has consistently failed to take seriously the concerns of immigrant communities at SPHS and has been a willing partner in misrepresenting the facts of the case, distancing Asian immigrant communities and families, and seeking retaliation against staff and students;
- Independent monitoring of District’s response to anti-Asian and anti-immigrant harassment at SPHS specifically as well as District-wide;
- A clear protocol for addressing incidents of harassment, translated into appropriate languages, with resources for training and monitoring;
- Compliance with state and federal language access laws;
- Due process rights for students in disciplinary proceedings including qualified interpretation, translated notices, and full investigation;
- Hiring of an independent monitor regarding bias incidents in the District, charged with independent investigation and public reporting on bias assaults.